welcome note


On this blog you will be able to share sightings of Dragonflies and Damselflies within the recording area of VC41. However, sightings further afield will be welcome on this site also. To become an author of this blog please register by sending an email to vc41dragonfly@gmail.com and an invite will be sent to you. Alternatively if you want to record your sightings on this blog but do not wish to register then please email sightings with or without photos to the above address and they can be published for you. Please continue to record your sightings through the correct channels and details of these can be found above.

Thursday 19 July 2012

Rhoose Point

Hi Folks - I'm new to this blog!  Wondered if you might be interested to see this photo that I popped onto ispot a few days ago.  I'm no expert on these beasts, but I'm told it is probably the less common form of blue-tailed damsefly, form rufecens-obseleta??


I would also be interested to hear if anyone has practical knowledge of habitat requirements for Scarce Blue-tailed Damselfly - I'm in dialogue at the moment with the Council about how the public areas at Rhoose Point (which is a SINC) are managed, and apparently Scarce Blue-tailed damsels were present here a few years ago but have been lost.  It would be nice to see if with appropriate management we can get them back again!

Adam

1 comment:

Mark Hipkin said...

Hi Adam, nice photo. I must confess that I'm not fully up to speed with the various forms. In fact I was surprised to find that they generally indicate how mature the species is; I was expecting the forms to be more associated with regional variation.
It looks like this form indicates it is a mature female Blue-tailed Damselfly. I've read literature that would call this specimen 'infuscans', but also seen photos calling it 'rufescens-obsoleta?' It would seem that the mature forms of rufescens and violacea can show brown thorax and a brown S8. Whatever the case i have seen a few specimens around, including today, that resemble this form.

I don't have practical experience of managing habitat for Scarce Blue-tailed Damselfly but on the sites where I've seen them there are shallow pools with little to no vegetation. At one location it would appear that the regular passage of 4x4 vehicles through the pond keep the vegetation down and muddies the waters enough to stop it getting over vegetated in areas where the 4x4 don't go? Some tactical removal and control of marginal vegetation may help your cause?